Cholesterol – Do You Really Need Medication?
The NMR LipoProfile test, also known as the Particle Test, is a simple blood test and can be part of your standard blood draw. It gives you and your doctor a direct measure of your LDL particle number (LDL-P) along with your standard cholesterol results. Knowing your LDL-P gives you a more complete picture of your heart health and determines a treatment plan that is best for you.
We recommend the NMR LipoProfile test if you have any of the following health concerns:
- Using diet and exercise to manage your cholesterol
- Taking medication to manage your cholesterol
- A previous heart attack or stroke
- A family history of heart attack or stroke
- High blood pressure
- Diabetes or a strong family history of diabetes
Why Is The Particle Test Important?
It is important to know that having a high number of LDL particles is bad. LDL particles carry and deposit cholesterol into your arteries and the cholesterol becomes plaque, called atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries. More LDL particles (a higher LDL-P) means there is a greater likelihood that plaque may develop in your arteries increasing your risk for heart disease. If you have a high number of LDL particles, you should lower the number. There are many treatment options available to lower your LDL particle number.
We Invite You To Discuss Your Risk For Heart Disease:
- Ask about getting the NMR LipoProfile test, the Particle test that can give you a measure of your LDL Particle number (LDL-P) for a more complete picture of your heart health.
- Ask if the CVD Inflammation Profile is right for you. This profile covers an individual’s full spectrum of risk from lifestyle concerns to the development of cardiovascular disease
- Ask for advice on lifestyle changes that can:
- Improve your heart health
- Lower your stress
- Lead to a longer healthier life
- Talk about your exercise plan
- Discuss diet changes that you may have made or would like to make by incorporating heart healthy foods