Most doctors are trained to deal with acute care, such as treating a broken arm or performing a surgery. Usually, the patient-doctor encounter is very brief and single-problem focused.
While conventional medicine approach suppresses the patients' symptoms, Integrative Functional Medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease, using a systems-oriented approach, engaging both patient and doctor in a therapeutic partnership. Both patient and doctor engage in a quest to understand why the symptoms exist in the first place and address the root causes of the disease, which include genetic predispositions, environmental exposures, nutrition and lifestyle choices.
Having been trained in Integrative Functional Medicine, I understand the importance of listening to your story, evaluating, and determining the root causes of your immediate and long-term health problems. Virtually every chronic illness is preceded by long-term disturbance in function that can be identified and effectively managed. By addressing these disturbances, we can change how your systems function, which can have a major impact on your health.
Have Any Symptoms?
- Excess weight or trouble losing weight
- Food cravings
- Muscle aches
- Joint pain
- Sinus congestion and postnasal drip
- Skin rashes, boils pimples, acne
- Puffy eyes and dark circles under eyes
- Autoimmune disease
- Canker sores allergies
- Heartburn or gastric reflex
- Bloating, gas, constipation, or diarrhea
- Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Sleep problems
- Difficulty concentrating or brain fog
- Mood swings, depression or anxiety
- Memory loss
- Fluid retention
- Premenstrual syndrome and other menstrual disorders
If you have any of these symptoms, Integrative Functional Medicine can help you by addressing the causes of your illnesses rather than just reducing or masking your symptoms. Prevent illnesses instead of spending time, money and heartache treating them.
Your IFM Assessment
Your Integrative Functional Medicine Assessment lets us understand how your body's systems are working together and which ones are not performing, causing metabolic imbalances that show up as various diseases. We then customize a treatment plan, which may combine nutrition, pharmaceutical grade supplements, dietary programs and exercise, and can be developed to prevent or treat chronic illness and promote long-term health. A Functional Medicine Assessment utilizes various biomarkers to assess the overall health of your body's systems:
- Alkaline Reserve: pH balance - yeast, viruses, bacteria and cancer live in an acid environment. What does your environment look like?
- Oxidative Stress: Every illness has oxidation involved in its development. What is your antioxidant status?
- Electrolytes: Fuel for your cells. Do your cells have enough fuel to function optimally?
- Carbohydrate Metabolism: How efficiently is your body using sugar and carbohydrates?
- Protein Metabolism: Is your body using food properly? How is your digestion?
- Cellular Energy Production: How efficiently is your body making energy?
- Hydration: Our bodies are 70% water. Are you getting enough water?
- Liver Stress/Toxicity: You are what you don't eliminate. How are you eliminating?
- Kidney Stress: Is your body filtering and cleaning your fluids to keep you healthy?
- Adrenal Stress: How does your body handle physical, chemical, and emotional stress?
- Anabolic or Catabolic Processes: Is your body breaking down faster than it repairs?